So the productivity I’ve had at work this last week has spilled over….into my house.
Usually my Mum comes round on a Saturday and helps me with my housework. I do do it myself, but then she comes round and does it again so part of me thinks that she wants to feel useful, so I just let her do it now. But she’s laid low with the flu and she’s had it all week, despite having the flu jab which it turns out is only effective for 3% of people – http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2943269/Fatal-delays-flu-jab-Health-bosses-knew-six-months-vaccine-defective-thousands-died-thinking-safe.html.
So today I decided to blitz my house and clean it from top to bottom as best I could. I did the kitchen, bathrooms, lounge, vacuumed and dusted throughout, did loads of washing and dried it and generally tidied up. It made me feel really good, it was like a spring clean but a bit early!
When I looked around my house at how clean it was and how it looked I felt really proud. I do appreciate everything my Mum does for me and all the cleaning, vacuuming and looking after me, but once in a while it is nice to do it yourself, look at what you’ve done and feel really good about it.
I hope my Mum is recovered soon and back to her normal self, this flu thing has been awful. To anyone who has got it I hope you feel better soon, it is a nasty one.
So today is National Nutella Day, and I’m a huge fan of the stuff! I don’t have it very often though because of its high fat and calorie content, but I do have some in my cupboard and I occasionally will have a bit on some toast every now and then.
There is a recipe that I’ve wanted to try for a long time which is Nutella Cheesecake, so to prompt and remind me it is below:
- 250 grams digestive biscuits
- 75 grams soft unsalted butter
- 1 x 400 grams jar nutella (at room temperature)
- 100 grams chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 500 grams cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 60 grams icing sugar (sifted)
- Break the digestives into the bowl of a processor, add the butter and a 15ml tablespoon of Nutella, and blitz until it starts to clump. Add 25g/3 tablespoons of the hazelnuts and continue to pulse until you have a damp, sandy mixture.
- Tip into a 23cm/9inch round springform and press into the base either using your hands or the back of a spoon. Place in the fridge to chill.
- Beat the cream cheese and icing sugar until smooth and then add the remaining Nutella to the cream cheese mixture, and continue beating until combined.
- Take the springform out of the fridge and carefully smooth the Nutella mixture over the base. Scatter the remaining chopped hazelnuts on top to cover and place the tin in the fridge for at least four hours or overnight. Serve straight from the fridge for best results.
Additional information – for vegetarians make sure the cream cheese does not contain rennet.
I’m a HUGE fan of American Football. I know it is a bit odd of me to say that since I was born in the UK to an Italian father and to an English mother, but American Football is my passion. I love the strategy, the cheerleading and the whole pageantry that goes with it, especially when the Superbowl happens. Our football doesn’t even get close.
Advertising during the Superbowl is BIG business with millions of dollars spent on creating the right ads for transmission during the big game. Unfortunately this year Nationwide didn’t get it quite right, as this link shows – http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2935929/Outrage-Nationwide-Insurance-shows-dark-depressing-commercial-dead-little-boy-Super-Bowl.html – and I for one having lost a son to stillbirth was quite upset by their ad.
My team is the New York Giants and it has been ever since I was 12 years old. If I didn’t live here, I would love to live in New York so I’ve always supported the New York Giants for American Football and the New York Jets for baseball. It is just the way it is for me.
The two teams that got through to Superbowl 49 this year were the Seattle Seahawks and the New England Patriots, it was a close call but the New England Patriots won with a score of 28 to 24.
Even better than the Superbowl is this…..Puppy Bowl!
Yep, that’s right – Puppy Bowl! Animal Planet showed the 11th Puppy Bowl which is basically a load of cute rescue dogs and puppies playing on a mock up American Football pitch – it really is cuteness overload! It incorporates Kitty Halftime and this year had goat cheerleaders. I kid you not – no pun intended! It is all to raise awareness of rescue dogs in the USA – http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2935641/Team-Ruff-Team-Fluff-Puppy-Bowl-XI-kicks-pups-battling-opposing-teams-time.html.